Co-organized Event – Speech and Scientific Educational Lecture of the Parents Association of the Penteli High School and of the Society of Preventive Psychiatry on the topic: “PARENTS IN ACTION. ADDICTIONS AND THE ROLE OF THE FAMILY” was successfully held on Monday 1 April 2019.
The event was co-organized by the Parents Association of the Penteli High School and by the Society of Preventive Psychiatry, represented by Mrs. Eleni Gretsa, Treasurer of the Board of Directors and Coordinator of the event.
With the scientific contribution of Dr. D. Petrili, Psychologist, Director of the OKANA Adolescent Unit and Mrs. A. Kiapoka, Psychologist – Executive of OKANA, the following topics were addressed in order to raise awareness among parents on identifying and targeting the factors that make the teenagers more vulnerable to substance use:
Important facts we learned from the abovementioned scientific event:
• Myths & realities about substances, use & addiction.
• A person’s developmental stages up to adolescence and his/hers encounter with the substance.
• Factors favoring substance addiction in puberty.
• We also touched upon the parental role through the ages up to present, and we acknowledged how the wider socio-economic circumstances affect the parenting role.
• We also acknowledged the importance of parents on touching upon their own personal issues as a mean to strengthen their parenting role.
So what do we need to do to be better parents?
• Taking parenting role responsibility.
• Connect with mutual support networks, such as community networks, parents clubs, etc.
• Active perception of our children’s needs.
• Stable & realistic boundaries, yet flexible, not rigid.
• An experiential interactive workshop took place which pleasantly surprised all parents at the end of the event.
We thank everyone for their participation, our distinguished speakers for their voluntary contribution, as well as all active Societies which actively support our activities for the benefit of children, parents and educators.